Monday, November 10, 2014

Brisas - Week 26


Me and My Favorite 90 year old!!!
This week I started out as a trio with the other 2 sisters in the ward, but Wednesday I received my new companion. Wednesday, after studies, we went to the mission offices and I left with the president's wife, the president and two assistants to the airport. When we got there we had about a half an hour until my companion's flight arrived, so we ordered some food for all of us. I was pretty excited about that because I always hear how anyone who goes out to eat with the president eats REAL good, haha. There was a fancy burger place in the airport, so we all got burgers and milk shakes to-go and by then, my companion arrived.


At the Airport with my new companion and my Mission President and his Wife
My companion is super cute and from Argentina! She's from Mendosa though, so she doesn't have the typical accent from Argentina. I guess it has a lot of influence from Chile where she lives. Before getting here, She was serving in Argentina waiting for her visa and almost finished her training, but not quite, so technically I'm training again! This time is much easier though because she has a gift for testifying, teaching, and following the spirit! I've already learned a lot by her example. Mostly all I really have needed to teach her is the area and how Mexico works...like money and all that.

Spanish is pretty funny with the two of us. A lot of words she uses are different here. For example, lots of the fruits have different names for her, and other common words like bus and store are different. And, lots of common words here are bad words in Argentina! So it has been interesting!

This week we taught another family that I found with my other companion, like 2 or three weeks ago. It was a really good lesson, apart from the husband being a little drunk. Its funny because everyone is so different drunk. He kept telling us stuff about how he wanted to quit drinking completely, for his family, and he got pretty emotional about it. He also cried when he told us about his brother that passed away. We had him, his wife, and 5 little kids (3 years - 8 years old) all listening to us.  We explained the Trinity, following Jesus Christ, and Baptism. None of them, except for one of the daughters, has ever been baptized.  They all accepted the baptismal invitation, so that was neat! On Sunday we passed by to walk with them to church, but the dad had to leave for something and the mom couldn't leave with all the kids. All the kids were begging to go, and the mom promised that next Sunday they would do everything  possible to go. I'm really hoping things work out with them, because they're a really sweet family.

Our other little family has their baptismal date for the 6 of December, the last day before transfers. They didn't come this Sunday either...I still don't know what happened with them. Ugh...life of being a missionary. It seems like 80% of the time things don't go as planned or hoped for!

One good things though is that Shirley, a less active, is getting activated again. Even though she doesn't have support from hardly anyone, she still managed to get her non-member husband to church with her and her little girl. They even talked to the bishop about getting help so she could get divorced, and marry the guy she's with now. She's so great because she REALLY wants to get married in the temple, just gets discouraged a lot. With time though I know things will work out.

Until next week, Hermana Harper


My last comp, Hermana Huff with her new companion




Psole

No comments:

Post a Comment