Monday, April 27, 2015

Hunucma - Week 8

Hello!

This week was SO long because every single day we had to be in Merida as a zone. We talked about eight missionary topics that you learn as a new missionary and review every year. This year was a little different because each companionship had a topic and got to teach it.  Sister Lugo and I  talked about the importance of having investigators at church, and it went pretty good I think!

One thing that wasn't too fun is that I got sick.  I think it was just food poisoning.  People here have told me that hot food and sun don't usually go really well together, and I'm starting to believe them! Tuesday I started feeling not that great and didn't feel like eating anything after lunch that day. Wednesday was the same, but I woke up feeling like throwing up and was going to the bathroom every little while. In the van on our way to Merida, luckily the van wasn't too hot and the chapel wasn't either during our meetings, so the sick feeling kinda went away. After we finished, we walked out by the temple with Hermana Pitcher and her companion and I all of the sudden threw up in the temple garden - gross, I know :( It was super embarrassing because we were talking, and a guy waved me over that was outside the gate and had a bunch of questions as to what we believe and everything. He was a SUPER awesome guy and I was able to explain a bunch of things, but right at the end the other sisters came to join me and out of no where I felt really sick and that's when I had to step to the side, and yeah. After that, I started feeling a lot better. I bought a bag of ice and held it the whole way home to Hunucma. Then, we went straight to eat with the member we were assigned that day, and since I didn't feel like eating, I slept in their hammock for about an hour. ( haha)

Besides getting sick, we did a lot of contacting this week. Thursday we didn't have much success, but I was happy because we at least had Pedro to go visit. But, he wasn't there when we went to visit. A miracle happened when we left his house - there was a group of guys drinking in front of Pedro's parent’s house and one of the guys called us over. At first I thought they were just bored, but the guy had real interest. He says he's felt really confused and wanted to know more what we believe and if we can answer his questions. He's a fisherman so he isn't home a lot, but wanted us to at least visit his wife and told us where she lives. All the next day we tried to look for her, but what he explained to us, where his house was, didn't make sense. The one good thing about that day is that we visited a new family and they were really happy to have us over. We spent two hours with them because they had a lot of needs. We watched the video with them "Because He Lives" and the mom and two daughters cried after. They told us about their family and how they struggle showing their love for their dad because he drinks and doesn't behave well when he's drunk. One thing we taught them at the end, to help strengthen their family, is family prayer. None of them pray they said because they didn't grow up doing it. All of them felt really happy after we prayed with them, and they committed to do it every day as a family.

On Sunday, it was disappointing because Pedro wasn't there when we went to look for him in the morning, and Berenice and her kids left.  Those five, I was hoping I'd see baptized before I left, but I think their time will be a little more down the road. One good thing though it that Azucena (15 yrs, from sisal, recent convert) came to church after we committed her Monday. She brought her mom too, which is a huge miracle because the mom isn't a member, and before would always hide when the missionaries would come. I think she's starting to realize that she needs to support her daughter in good things.  Otherwise, it’s a lot easier for Azucena to fall into temptation with things she did before becoming a member.

That’s all for this week,

Love,
Hermana Harper

No comments:

Post a Comment