Monday, June 2, 2014

Brisas - Week 3

Familia y amigos -

First of all, I can't believe it's June already! Right now it's starting to get into the rainy season. Three days this week it rained! People here are super hilarious about the rain. The yucatecos all have this fear that if you're outside when it rains, you WILL get sick. For the most part people will just stay in their houses and only leave if they have some kind of emergency. I always laugh because we're alllllways outside and haven't gotten sick yet!
Rainy Season

Other things this week...this week was a little tough honestly. I'm getting a little frustrated because we're trying to talk to people in the streets and if they don't have time right then, we set up a time to come back and teach them. A lot of times they aren't there when we show up. We end up losing a lot of time because our back up people aren't usually the most promising either. Sunday was especially frustrating because all three of the people that we had scheduled weren't home. After the third person, we decided to check with the neighbor to see if she knew when she'd be back, and took the opportunity to introduce ourselves and everything, but she wasn't interested.

I don't know if I just had a girl/hormone moment on Sunday or what, but when we walked away from that neighbor I just wanted to cry! We talk to SO many super awesome people who believe in Christ, go to their little groups, church, and everything, but don't realize that what we have is what they need. They always say stuff like "well it’s the same God," so I'm good. And we usually bring up prophets and the book of Mormon, but it really turns a lot of people off. I just wish I could know what to say and how to say it better so people could get it...because so many of them are such good people. The only problem is they're totally deceived that what they have is correct.

As we walked away I was venting to my companion about this and what we should do differently and she said, "I think you need a prayer." And I was like, "Yes. I think I do." So we turned the corner to look for a place a little more private and as we were trying to decide who should say it, my companion looked across the street and read the house plaque that read "Familia Donde Guiterrez." We'd been looking and looking for their family the last couple days but the directions were wrong, so we ran over to see if they were the less active family we'd been searching for. Thankfully they were and let us in. 




Touristy Shops

The family consists of the parents, daughter who lives there with their baby and husband, other son and adopted son. The adopted son's dad also lives there and his wife died a while ago, but died a faithful member. The family was super warm and friendly and told us how much they love the missionaries and that they stopped going when the bishop got released, but want to start going again. We also got three new investigators from them because the daughter's husband isn't a member and the adopted son and dad aren't members. It turned out to be a super awesome lesson.

I think I had a bad taste in my mouth from visiting less actives in my other area because all of them had been offended or something like that and knew they should go back, but just wouldn't. My other area was so easy to find people too. Another thing I realized is that a bunch of the less actives in our area (and there are tons of them) stopped going to church for the same reason as this family, a new bishop. I have a lot of hope for them though. The current bishop for some reason has neglected our half of the ward.  I think having two missionaries completely focused on our side will help the ward a lot.


Another happy thing this week is that we found a new investigator through the prayer of my companion. Last week she told me she said a specific prayer to find a boy who was wearing a light blue shirt who would listen to us. That same day  (I didn't know about her prayer at that point) we were walking down the street and all the sudden she grabbed me and was like, "we have to talk to him." He was right in the path we were walking, sitting on a rock, texting on his phone, so I was like "sure!" Sure enough, he said we could come back, so this last Thursday was the return appt and the lesson went perfectly. He told us he believed everything we said was true and accepted a baptism date and everything!

It was cool to see when we're specific with our prayers, we get specific answers. I told her we should start doing that every day to find more people who are prepared to hear the gospel, so we're going to start doing that.

Well, I hope everyone enjoys the break from school and the start of summer!
¡Hasta luego!
Hermana Harper


Buildings Downtown Brisas




Downtown Centro






No comments:

Post a Comment