Monday, January 19, 2015

Brisas - Week 36

The impossible happened... Transfers? I didn't have any!!! I'm STAYING in Brisas! By the end of this transfer I'll have completed 10 1/2 months here. More than any other sister I've heard of in the mission. But, I'm really happy about it! I love my companion a lot (despite our differences sometimes!)  and this ward and these investigators are feeling more and more like family to me. For this next transfer we have 4 baptisms that are pretty sure, so that makes me excited!

This week was super special because Henry, Suzi, Doorly, and Betsy all got baptized!!! We had the baptism Thursday and not a lot of people could make it, but everyone who needed to be there was there.  Hermana Pitcher and I gave the little talks before the ordinance, and after Jesus (convert from Garcia Gineres) came and bore his testimony about the Holy Ghost. The bishop baptized the 4 of them and I think that made him really happy. Everyone who was there seemed in awe that a WHOLE family was being baptized together,  so that was really cool :)

Other things that happened this week were exchanges with the sister training leaders. Haha I stayed, for the 6th time in my 6 transfers!  We visited some less actives and 2 investigators- Ricardo and Juan Enrique. Both are doing so well! Ricardo's baptismal date is set in stone for the 31st and Juan Enrique just needs to come to church so we can give him a realistic date. With him, he just hasn't been able to get out of work on time to be able to go.

Today we didn't have district meeting, so we spent our P-day in Centro. We met up with Hermana Pinguelo and Hermana Hobbs in a Mayan bookstore and bought some little touristy things. The weather has been PERFECT lately, so it was fun walking around Centro today. We also ate at a popular restaruant here called Los Trompos. They´re known for their meat al pastor, so we got one of their specialty pizzas and split it :)

On a spiritual note, during exchanges I learned something from Hermana Smith that I liked a lot. In 3 Nephi 20 there's a verse that we recite a lot with people. Verse 8:

"And he said unto them: He that eateth this bread eateth of my body to his soul; and he that drinketh of this wine drinketh of my blood to his soul; and his soul shall never hunger nor thirst, but shall be filled"

We talked about the verse and what could be our personal, spiritual "hunger" or "thirst." Everyone has things they long for: patience, a stronger feeling for God's presence, happiness, love... When we do the things God has asked us and strive to be worthy to partake of the sacrament, this longing or emptiness is filled. But, when we choose to not fill our longing with the right kinds of things, the result is frustration, being annoyed easily, anger, sorrow, depression, etc. I really like the promise that through the sacrament and remembering what it really represents, we can be filled. Filled with the spirit and with that have our spiritual hunger fed . Obviously, it's not an automatic thing though- we really should be preparing all week long by not justifying bad decisions and repenting when we need to. When we do that, the very best that we can, we have God's promise.

Love, Hermana Harper

Israel - He will be leaving on a mission in February!





No comments:

Post a Comment