Monday, February 24, 2014

Merida - Week 7

Hola!

I can't believe how time flies! I'm a week into my 3rd transfer already...crazy. I'm nervous for the next transfer because there is a 50/50 chance I'll be training! I don't feel ready to train at all, but there is a shortage of trainers and I think the president likes the Americans to train. The girls that came in the transfer before me are all training already and some came into the mission knowing less than me. Talk about faith, haha.

Well, I forgot my little notes of things I wanted to tell you guys so, this will probably be short! It has been a pretty average week. Sadly, we had no investigators in church. There are about 4 that would have come, but all happened to have other important things to tend to. We have been sinking A LOT of time into this one family lately. I've written about them before. Its like 2 families in one. Except sometimes more because they always have family over that the mom is like, oh teach them too! The 10 yr old (Christian) is on track finally for baptism. Sometimes he doesn't want to listen or is showering for forever or isn't even there when we have the appt, but he finally is past the first 3 lessons which are the most important. The other couple that lives with Christian and his parents (Maria and Denis) are struggling. They're stuck on their religion, but we keep getting our hopes up because they'll keep commitments and start having faith in what we're teaching, but then they hit another roadblock. Super frustrating. Last last we were there from 5:45pm until 9pm. The first half hour was just waiting on Christian and his mom...we talked to Christian's step dad during that time so it wasn't a waste. The dad (Beto) isn't baptized, but has less interest than all of them. I don't think he sees what a difference the church makes in his wife’s life, so he doesn't think it's "the true church." We'll see. That whole family is a roller coaster!

This week it seems like we've lost a lot of really good investigators. We've taught a lot of really awesome people, but have found out we can't keep teaching because they don't technically live in our area. Some we've taught where they work, and some are always at their parents house so we teach them there.  We've lost like 4 or 5 with that.

Hmm, not much else I can't think of that's very exciting! Things are good though. It's been getting hotter, so that's going to be interesting. Hopefully not too miserable :)

Ok, spiritual thought: One thing I thought was interesting from my studies in the Book of Mormon, are the words Nephi uses to describe his brothers. I've wanted to understand his brothers better because I feel like a lot of us are probably more like them than we want to admit. They have bad moments and good moments, and I think that's super normal. Obviously it's better to be like Nephi, but we can definitely learn a lot from the brothers. So what I took note of is every time the brothers complain or "murmur," it says along with it that it's because they didn't believe, or have faith. To apply that to us, every time we want to complain about how something is in the church it's because we are lacking faith. I feel like I sometimes have a problem with that. I'll want to complain about how one of investigators is or a rule or something, but really you just have to have faith that the person is really called of God or that annoying person is really special to God. Just something to look for I guess!

Ok, until next week! :)
Love, Hermana Harper

No comments:

Post a Comment