Monday, March 3, 2014

Merida - Week 8


BUENOS DIAS!


I feel like the last time I wrote was seriously like yesterday, crazy crazy! I usually wait to read my inbox, but this time I read my messages first,

I've been getting used to how things are here and thought,  it's basically the same as the US. However, one thing I've been noticing is how uneducated people here are. Every family has a different situation, but I didn't realize school isn't a law here, so there are plenty of kids that don't go to school. We've run into a bunch of kids around 15 or 16 that work for a living, no school. Also, adults that's don't read very well. That's what makes me sad. We have one investigator that works every sunday taking care of this really old grandma and we talked to her about maybe switching jobs so she could attend church. She was nervous because she has so many educational restrictions, like for example, she can't write at all she says. Very, very few people here have the chance to learn an instrument too. Evvvvveryone wishes they played piano or something.  They always talk about it to us because my companion plays violin. Take home message: Be grateful your parents make you learn!

Another gratitude thing. I've been thinking what a blessing it is to be born into the church. There have been a couple times I've wished I was a convert or something because surprisingly a lot of investigators ask if we've been members our whole lives. I hate when they use it against us, like we're here out of duty or because our parents taught us it is true, so that’s the only reason we believe it's true. Usually we explain ourselves pretty good, how we both are here for our own testimony, our own conversion. But I was thinking about it, and religion really is a cultural thing for people. Catholic is a huge part of the culture here and it's what feels comfortable and like "home." When you are born into the church, you never have to experience that change that can be awkward or
View of the City!
uncomfortable. I always feel bad when we teach people who are SUCH great people. As in super faithful, love God so much, invest so much in their church. I hate telling them that really their chuch doesn't have the authority.  Their church has a lot of good, but is just missing one important thing. That's probably one of our biggest challenges, honestly. There's so many people that I admire and love and have so much truth in their lives, but don’t get that the authority is only in one church. A lot of people tell us, "All the churches are the same, they're all good." Which is true, but to really know what God wants us to know and do has to come from one mouthpiece on the earth. I think people have a hard time understanding a good person from a good person with real authority. Ah, it's so hard. That's why you have to have SO much faith in the Holy Ghost when you teach. As missionaries, we are so weak and imperfect, but as long as the Holy Ghost can touch the hearts of the people, that's all we need to happen.

Ok, well I guess that's all for this week! Enjoy your week :)
Hermana Harper

No comments:

Post a Comment