Monday, March 10, 2014

Merida - Week 9





Hola!

The first thing I'm super excited to write about is what is probably going to happen in about 3 weeks! We got a call this morning from the elders in the offices and they are thinking about splitting our area! After this transfer I'll be done with training, so it was kind of a for sure thing that my companion and I would get split up. One reason is to help us with Spanish, and the other is because the president knows my companion is a really good trainer. We've been sad because our area has a bunch of people progressing, and we're at the most exciting phase with most of them. However, if our area gets split, that means we will both get to stay here and train! We'll share the ward, but have different boundaries that we cover. It's the ideal situation honestly and I'm super excited!

It's crazy how powerful missionary work is becoming. Here in Mexico so many people are interested and we keep so busy teaching people. The thing is we usually lack the time with them, because the area is big and we have to fit in so many people to our schedule. Its cool when we walk around the city and as we pass by houses we can say, "ope, we know them, that family isn't interested, that family has potential, don't know that family" to every house as we pass by. It's crazy how many people we have met in our area. We keep telling ourselves that one day we will have met everyone in our area! The thing is once there are more and more missionaries, and areas get smaller and smaller, it's actually possible to know everyone in every house. That's how God is going to bring his gospel to all the world- little by little. It's so exciting to be a part of!

At church it makes me so happy to watch our ward grow. It’s a slow process, but our ward is already growing with converts and less-actives are becoming more active with our efforts. It's the most amazing thing to get to watch.

At church we had pretty high numbers of investigators who we were counting on. Only about half showed up, but we got a surprise investigator! We contacted a girl on the street probably 2 weeks ago and just did the run through, leaving here a card with our number and address of the church and everything. I didn't think that much of it, because 90% of the time I get my hopes up for nothing. But, she actually came to church and we're going to start teaching her! The key with missionary work is honestly to talk to EVERYONE. Everyone. Our most golden investigators were disguised as normal, not very interested people. I get surprised over and over when people I don't expect to be very responsive, are keeping commitments and doing more that we asked of them.

Right now I'm really loving my mission here. The thing that makes me love it are the people. I remember in my “setting apart” blessing, the president told me I would love more people that I thought possible. Couldn't be more true! Part of it, I think is because we have that teacher-student relationship. I feel like they're all my kids because they look up to us to teach them how to be happier in their lives. I love watching them learn and understand and to be excited to tell us they read the chapter we left, or came to church or whatever commitment we left them with. They are all SO amazing.

One cute thing yesterday: we were teaching this older lady named Yamili the last half of the restoration. I didn't have much hope for her because it didn't seem like she was remembering what we had taught, just repeating to us what she already believes every lesson. BUT, during our lesson Sunday we discovered she's actually taking a lot out of our lessons and believes in the apostasy and restoration. She accepted the baptisimal invitation, but after was like "I got to be honest with you guys, I can’t go teaching to every house like you guys do..." She thought being a member meant being a missionary! We explained to her that our job is different and  after her baptism she just has to go to church on Sunday with us. She was very relieved by that, haha, because she has some health problems. Ah, I love her. She's also one of a couple investigators we have that always sends us away with food :)

Well I guess that is all I have time for. Hope everyone has a great week!!
Hermana Harper

No comments:

Post a Comment