Monday, May 5, 2014

Merida - Week 17


Happy Birthday Hermana Harper!!!  21 Years Old!
¡Hola!

This next Monday is transfers, so I'll either be changing areas, getting a new companion, training, or nothing will change. I'm secretly hoping nothing changes because I really love my companion!

It's been a little crazy this week because we've been looking at houses...again. I have 3 transfers in the same area and this will be my third house I've lived in. Moving isn't too bad, it just takes up a lot of P-day :(

On a happier note, we managed to finish all the lessons with Monica (9 year old) so she can get baptized this Tuesday! I'm really excited because I think it will strengthen their little family so much.  We are still trying to get the parents married, so they can get baptized too, but more than likely that's a couple months off. Their entire family came to church on Sunday for the first time. Usually the son doesn't want to come, but I guess he finally decided it’s not so bad. I think we're going to have to work with him more because he has the typical "church is boring" attitude. It's all new too, so hopefully, once he has friends it will be better.
A Catholic Lady told me I look like her Virgin Mary.
She gave me this little card with a prayer on the back.
There are so many little things like that you have to worry about as a missionary! Who can be friends with who, what lessons people need, what things people aren't understanding. Sometimes I think I overwhelm myself, but when I just rely on the Lord things usually work out. One other thing was SO special on Sunday: for the first time one of our investigators, now a recent convert, got up to bear his testimony! Jesus had his baptism last Friday and is a really, really cool person. I think a lot of the members look up to him honestly. His dad has been sick since we met him, and he passed away on Saturday, may 3. Jesus told us Sunday in the chapel before sacrament meeting. It completely melted my heart because when he told us, he was holding back tears, but said to us he was really happy and knows where is dad is and how us missionaries are the reason he's at church and is able to be happy about something like that. Wow! And when he bore his testimony he talked about Joseph Smith and the book of Mormon just like a member. I loved hearing his testimony because I know he didn't just say all that to say it. He's really been reading and praying and fasting to have a testimony and had the desire to share it in Sacrament.
Hermana Harper's Birthday Party! In a member's home
Oh, my birthday was this week! I had thought my birthday wouldn't be much different than any other day, but it actually turned out to be a really fun day. In the morning my companion surprised me with a poster she made (no idea when or how she did it with our schedule) and balloons which was SO nice. After studies I opened the presents Mom and the family sent (thanks guys!! :)).  And later, the president's wife, my district leaders, and the other sisters in our district called to sing to me,  and one of our investigators (Jesus) sent a text message. For lunch we ate with a member that knew it was my birthday, so she asked in advance what I wanted to eat.  She was all dressed up when we got there and had the table set up really pretty and had a cake for afterwards.
Hermana Harper's Birthday, May 3!
Well, that's all I have time for. The time is always so short. Love you all!
Hermana Harper

2 comments:

  1. Hi my name is McKenna and I just got called to serve in the same mission as your daughter. I would love to get in touch and hear any advice you have! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I would love that. Call me/text me anytime. 801-360-9150. We can arrange a time to chat! Cindy

      Delete