Monday, August 11, 2014

Brisas - Week 13



Hola!

So I received my new companion on Tuesday, fresh from the MTC! Her name is Hermana Huff and she is from Pleasant Grove, Utah. It's a really different experience this time around because Hermana Huff doesn't hardly speak Spanish or understand yet. It's been really tough this week for her :(
My new companion (Left) Hermana Huff

There are  so many changes when you first get here and it can be super overwhelming. Hermana Huff tries SO hard to have a good attitude though, which I admire. I feel like during training this time around we're both going to learn a ton!

On top of all the things my companion is trying to learn, I'm trying to keep everything else under control. Haha, my strong point has never been directions, but now I'm having to learn to master that. Also, teaching is tricky. I always have to be super focused to be able to understand everything and know where to take the lesson and involve my companion. Ah, it's definitely been a push, but we're doing it. Sometimes it really amazes me. Goes to show how God helps his missionaries!!!

This week Victor was our only investigator at church. I've worried about him a lot, if he has been grasping everything.  He wanted to push his baptismal date back, so this Sunday we talked more about baptism, and I think it really helped him. I asked him after how he felt about his new date, August 30, and he said he still felt like he had a lot to learn, but I told him that he didn't have to know everything before he was baptized, and that seemed to help ease his mind. He agreed to the 30th again, so we're hoping he doesn't change his mind! :) Victor has changed a lot since we've taught him, which is fun to see. Maybe part of it is that he's more comfortable with us, but he just is happier. Even members have said that to us.

This week Hermana Huff and I found 2 new investigators that seem pretty hopeful. Their names are Josefina and Jenny. We talked to Josefina's husband first on the street, and he said we could go talk to his wife, so we did and she wanted our advice on all kinds of things, especially her relationship with her neighbor girlfriends. She seemed really interested in Relief  Society, so we're hoping to get her with that first. We've only had one little lesson with her, but she seemed different than our usual first-visits, so I'm excited!

Jenny is another lady we met on the street. Originally, she just wanted us to come and teach her 2 little girls in English so they'd learn, and we were a little apprehensive because that's not what we do, but we agreed anyway as a foot in the door. She told us that her mom that lives with her is a member, but hasn't been to church in 20 years, and 2 of her siblings are members, so we were excited to go especially for that reason. We got there and tried to do part in English/part Spanish, but the little girls just got distracted and we ended up finishing in Spanish. Jenny surprisingly had a lot of good questions and turned out to be pretty interested. After, she invited us to eat dinner with them too, so that was pretty fun. We had quesadillas too, which I've surprisingly never eaten here yet! But they were yummy:)

Well, I think that's the most exciting as far as teaching goes for this week.
Ohhh, something that's not that great of news...I have to speak on Sunday. So far I've stayed off of the radar, but I made the comment to the 1st counselor that I've never spoken, and got myself into speaking. Hopefully that goes okay!

Well, until next week.
Love Hermana Harper

No comments:

Post a Comment