Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Brisas - Week 14

Hola!

I hope you guys didn't get too worried about me not writing yesterday! They switched our schedule on us again. At least this time  they asked for our parents emails so no parents would freak out. Haha I imagine a lot did the last time they switched things.

Today we had a multi-zone meeting in Centro, so yesterday was a normal work day. We had to wake up a little early because they had breakfast for us, but it was worth it! It's always SO fun seeing all the missionaries and all my old companions. I live for those meetings! Today was especially good because the president, his 3 assistants,  and his 4 sister training leaders all did workshops about stress in the mission.  I'm glad they are finally  talking to us about this topic, because just about every missionary hits a point in their mission where they want to give up and go home. The mission president's attitude up until now has been, "forget your self and go to work." Which isn't bad advice, but there's also a lot of missionaries who just need to be told it's normal to be stressed and feel depressed sometimes. I've seen, with training especially, how much all the new missionaries struggle and need someone besides their trainer to tell them they're normal.

One thing I really liked that the president told us is that to really know joy, you have to know how it feels to suffer. He used the example of Adam and Eve,  and it's so true. The more you suffer, the more appreciative who you are too, I think. That was a really great reminder because there are a lot of tough days in the mission. What's tough for me is when I start feeling like we're wasting our time here.

The bigger part of our lessons are usually with people who aren't really listening and aren't genuine with their desire to find out if what we're saying is true.  They tell us "they're good with their religion." It takes SO much patience to teach tons of first lessons and hope one of them will value what you're saying and want to hear more.

There are so many other pressures they put on you as a missionary too. Sometimes I get stressed out because our numbers one day aren't very good, but then I frustrate myself because it shouldn't be about numbers. It is  a reality of the mission though. They expect you to teach so many lessons, get so many references, be obedient, spend your money wisely, always be upbeat and happy... It can feel like a lot!

That's why I felt the conference was so excellent. It was good to see that EVERYONE struggles. It surprised me how many missionaries almost went home at one point in their mission or another. Yet  we're still all here, and with time and patience, the mission molds you into a lot better person, I think.

Today after the conference, I took my companion to the zoo since it was open! We went with my old companion (Hermana Pinguelo) too so that was really fun. Zoos here really aren't super amazing, but its fun doing something out of the ordinary and being with the other hermanas!

Love to you all,
Hermana Harper
I love me some Cotton Candy!!!
Hermanas together again!  We all used to be in the same ward together!!!
One of my favorite ward families!
Hermana Harper with Roberto and his Mom!
With a little assistance...
Hats are the bomb!


I caught a frog in the rain!
I Love this cat!  It belongs to a member family!

Cat had kittens! Ah!
Yummy Food!



No comments:

Post a Comment