Monday, October 6, 2014

Brisas - Week 21

¡Muy Buenos Días!

So we got our P-day schedule switched on us yet again. We're now the same as all the rest of the missionaries in the world and work from 6 - 9pm, instead of having district meeting. It was fun having P-day in the evening, but I think this schedule really is better. Especially because everyone seems to be more available in the evenings!

This week was super fun with general conference! It felt like we were waiting for Christmas day all week! Saturday morning we headed to the Stake Center at 10am and were there until it started at 11am. There were some technical problems, but about a half hour into it, they got it working. Several people loaded it onto their phones, so we didn't really miss anything. Once everything got working, all the American missionaries went into the High Priests room to watch it in English. That's always my favorite about all the conferences, feeling like you’re back in the US for a little bit!

Between sessions, we went with the other two sisters in our ward to Burger King and after got snacks next door at Chedraui (it’s like a Wal-mart) for the next session. I think just about all the missionaries had that idea, because as we were leaving we saw a bunch of the elders with their arms full of ice cream! Haha!

From all the talks, I don't know if I could pick a favorite! Well actually, if you didn't see Jorg Kebingat, go back and watch it because it was good for many different reasons.  It was interesting the emphasis on prophets and strengthening our personal testimonies. I don't know if its just because I'm on a mission or what, but it just feels like Satan is getting stronger. I liked that conference mentioned so much being strong and having our testimonies rooted in Christ.

Sunday, we also went at 10am and were there to greet everyone. Greet/talk among ourselves I should say! All the Missionaries always take advantage of time to spend together, since we don't really get to a lot. All the Americans watched conference again in the same place again, so that was fun. Sunday, the 4 of us (missionaries) that are in the same ward, ate with a couple of the member families that stayed at the chapel to eat. It was a little disappointing because not a single investigator came to conference. We spent the whole week before telling everyone we could, but every single one had some excuse. Its frustrating when you have so much hope for people showing up, but other priorities win them over.

Today during our district meeting I feel like I learned a lot of useful things. I think after a time as a missionary, you sometimes get bored by the things you teach and the investigators don't understand why what we want to teach them is so important. I was the coach for one practice and the investigator for the other, and I realized we really need to do more as missionaries to excite people! We need to show urgency in changing and being better. The best  way to do it though, is start ourselves. I've really thought a lot about that this week. I think there are a lot of things I could do to be a better missionary and as a person, but I procrastinate a lot because I don't feel urgency. But there is! Our zone leader made the comment this morning that if we don't learn to love the mission, we probably won't be very content in the celestial kingdom. This life is to prepare to meet God and prepare to grow up to be like him. I think a lot of times we think little of our callings or what an impact our example could make, but every little effort we make, God can use to bless another persons life. We need to really think about priorities and where we're literally preparing to go after this life. The celestial kingdom will probably entail the same kinds of things that our callings and families ask of us, so why wait to learn to love it?

With lots of love from Mérida,
Hermana Harper

No comments:

Post a Comment