Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Merida, Mexico

Hermana Hilary Harper arrived in Mexico on January 6, 2014
Mexico Merida Mission
I am in Mexico!!!

Hola!

Not going to lie, it has been kinda tough getting used to everything! It’s funny because everyone says our house is super nice. Compared to the US, its super old and I feel like everything is dirty! There is so much to get used to. The streets are really different, everyone’s house is so locked up (we knock by banging the bars and yelling buenos dias or something), we do bucket showers, sleep in hammocks (right now we actually have beds in our house, but they are a little sketchy). My mission has a LOT of rules...even some silly ones like boys can’t pluck their eyebrows. We also can’t visit tourist sites.

I feel like I have so much to say, but I don’t have much time,  and these computers are super confusing!

My companion is NOT native. Our companionship is the first here that is two American sisters. My comp is as white as me, from New Jersey, 19 years old, AND has been here 6 weeks. She isn’t fluent in the language, but her spanish is really good. We are opening an area because I guess there hasn’t been missionaries here for a few months.

We have already made some street contacts which is really cool. My companion is awesome at it. I like to say “hi” to people but I can’t go much further than that. Haha. My companion comes right out with the, we are missionaries can we come teach you sometime? I am honestly surprised how willing people are. There really are so many friendly people here which is awesome. One of our neighbors is a member and she is super awesome. She has a little restaurant and we went there for lunch today.

I probably should have made notes of more things to say, but so far things are good! Hard, but good. My mission president is super nice. His wife is a really classy lady! They both speak english, but hers is better than his. I am actually surprised at how much english we speak. It is actually a rule for us ALL to learn spanish AND english.

Well, got to go! Thanks for all the love and prayers!

Hermana Harper

No comments:

Post a Comment