Monday, July 28, 2014

Brisas - Week 11

Holaaaa!

Well, I'll start off to say today was one of the funner P-days I've had. The whole mission was together and the President and his assistants talked to us. Apparently our numbers have been lowering and he's worried about it. He talked about putting all of  our energy into the work, and that's honestly something we need to work on! It's easy to work a little slower because you're tired, but I'm trying to remember how short our time is here!

Another thing they mentioned is to really listen to our investigators, and to talk WITH them instead of AT them. Teach people, not lessons as we put it. That topic is one of the hardest things for me. Asking questions that really allow you to understand the person and their needs...from my MTC days I've struggled with that. A lot of it goes with just listening to the spirit though.

During practices, my old companion Hermana Tozcano grabbed me and we taught together with two Elders. The way practices are always set up is everyone partners up with someone who isn't their current companion and find elders, if you're sisters, or vice versa. We were trying to practice how to really listen and what I got out of the practice is that all the missionaries struggle just as much as I feel like I do- some even worse. It surprises me how hard being a good missionary really is. I was with one elder who is almost at his 2 years and he stilllll barely can speak Spanish. 

It is so interesting to me how much God puts on us to grow and change. You'd think just being on the mission changes you and turns you into a better person, but that's the farthest thing from the truth. A persons efforts and desires reflects who they become and what they get out of life. There's American missionaries who get here and barely know Spanish, but have the desire and attitude and do it- and not just that, but turn around and train after they get out of their own training.

This week though, was pretty normal. Every week we do so good with lessons and finding new people and trying to get our less actives to church on Sunday, but this Sunday all we had to bring to church were  2 investigators. Victor (grandpa) and Roberto (tried to commit suicide after wife left him) were there at least! The two poor guys have lots of problems we need to help them with, but I'm hoping we make progress. All of our little miracles always cost a lot on our part it seems like.

Some random things that I forgot to say last week  were that I almost ate something really gross the other day! We ate with this really poor family and they cooked all parts of the chicken just about! They offered us the chicken feet, but we told them we were good with the legs. The feet looked super gross though. Like little hands or something...it was hard watching the little kids gnaw on them the whole time haha. So far that's the grossest I have come across.

Also this week, I held a live Iguana. It was pretty scary and it just lasted long enough for a picture! Also, I caught a frog when it rained the other day. Can you tell I love animals? Haha. Along with animals, my other love is the fruit here. There are sooo many kinds. Just when I think I learned them all, a new type comes in season. I'll send pictures:)  Don't worry... (I just couldn’t get them to download this week, the computers were too slow!)

Next week is transfers again. My baby is almost all grown up, so I'm pretty sure we'll get separated. Hopefully not though, because we're finally starting to work really  well together.

Until next week,
Love, Hermana Harper

No comments:

Post a Comment